Recently Apple has banned cryptocurrency mining apps from their App store. Similarly Google has also updated their Play Store policy this week to ban apps that mine cryptocurrencies on users’ devices in the background.
But there are still numeours cryptocurrency mining app such as MinerGate, AA Miner, NeoNeonMiner, and Crypto Miner available on the Play Store.
Cryptocurrency mining is now known to all as it is not a new concept. Recently this technology has been abused by malicious attackers as they found it a very good method to make millions of dollars by hijacking PCs to secretly mine cryptocurrency in the background without the consent of the user.
Because of this reason cryptocurrency mining has become one of the biggest threats and giant companies like Apple and Google took strict measures to put restrictions on such apps.
Google has updated its Play Store Developer Policy to distinctly ban several other types of Android apps, such as those which exploit a device’s CPU for mining cryptocurrencies.
The apps which remotely manage the mining of cryptocurrency are exempted from the ban.
Besides cryptocurrency miners, Google has also banned other classifications of apps from its digital marketplace which includes
- Apps that serve distracting ads to users after each tap.
- Apps that misrepresent or conceal their ownership or primary purpose.
- Apps that sexualize minors, or are designed to appeal to children but include adult content.
- Apps that distribute “content with child sexual abuse imagery.”
- Apps that “facilitate the sale of explosives, firearms, ammunition, or certain firearms accessories.”
- Apps that promote hate speech, violence, self-harm, discrimination based on various factors such as sexual orientation or gender.
This is considered to be some of the latest improvement in a series of crackdowns on cryptocurrency mining apps or ads enforced by major tech companies.